Saturday, May 07, 2011
PENANG CITY HALL, PENANG
City Hall is a municipal building in George Town, Penang, which was formerly the seat of the City Council of George Town.
Originally built in 1903 as the Municipal Office, Penang, the building was erected at a cost of $100,000 to relieve demand for office space at the adjacent Town Hall, which then took on a more social function. Both buildings stand in front of the Padang on Esplanade Road.
The name "City Hall" dates from the grant of city status to George Town in 1957. Since local government reorganisation in 1976, the building has housed the Municipal Council of Penang Island.